Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Bloody Collage


Picasso made a collage based on the attack of Guernica, a village where women and children mainly lived. Guernica was bombed by the Germans however and Picasso painted this picture to show everyone what's it's like to get bombed.

My thoughts on this picture is everything looks really confusing. I mean you can't see what exactly is going on and everything is distorted. So I wondered why everything was messy and everything is very distorted. Than I realized, if your city was getting bombed, than wouldn't everything be really confusing? You would have people screaming and running for their lives, you'd have dead people on the street, injured people everywhere. So I think that the chaotic feel to this painting is because Picasso wanted to show everyone what it would be like to get bombed.

The painting Guernica, gives off a really weird feeling. It gives off a sort of disturbing feeling. I think that feeling comes from the facial expressions from the people and than it just makes you feel really weird. Also the other feeling it gives off is more of a intruding feeling. I feel like I don't really belong, and I feel like this isn't something I should be looking at. I think I feel this because of the distorted people, like they're different and I'm just here watching.

One of the questions I had was 'How did people feel in Picasso's time when they first saw this?' Often in times in history, when people saw things they didn't like or disagreed with, they destroyed it, or hated the person who created it. People who saw this, and disagreed with what they saw, like they thought "Oh it's not that bad, and what we're doing is right, those people deserved what we doing to them". People would think that because everyone had an opinion in the war. So what did those people think?

The most interesting thing in this painting, is the facial expressions. Everyone has a certain facial expression, confusion, uncertainty, surprised. Even the horse has a surprised look on it's face. Picasso probably put this like this because in a bombing, everyone would be very surprised and confused and really scared.

Picasso did an amazing job potraying the scene of a bombing. He was able to collide everything and make it look scary and confused. He maked an amazing job in showing the facial expressions and I think that this is a wonderful painting.





No comments:

Post a Comment